Friday, February 11, 2011

Bi-Racial Hair

Whatever your child may be mixed with, it is important to start their hair care routine early. As you know being bi-racial means that your hair-type is more than likely different from the mother or father, it could be a multitude of variations. What I have learned throughout my research, is that it helps to classify your child's hair, to determine the best route of action. Meaning that the curls are broken down to curl type. My son has 3b on top, and 3c in the back. So caring for his hair might differ from someone who has, 2a or 4a hair. I have been trying a variety of products and methods and I have seen a dramatic difference in his hair.

Initially I was only using Aveeno Shampoo, and a product called Curl Calmer. The product was great in the beginning as it calmed his hair, and it is all natural. However, as you know the hair changes, so I needed to modify his routine. I did some research, and reached out to other mothers to see what their routines looked like. I soon realized that I needed to get ahead of the game before his hair would be out of control. I now use some products from Curly Q, which is an organic line. They have a kids line, and it can be purchased online. I absolutely love the leave-in conditioner and the Coconut Dream Conditioner, they both work wonderfully. I also started co-washing, which is not using shampoo but conditioner only to wash the hair, that really helps control the frizz, and keep the hair from drying out. I recently have converted the the no-poo method, which is no shampoo at all. I am using a rinse once every other week of 2TBS Apple Cider Vinegar, 1TBS Honey, and 2 cups of warm water.

Now onto the styling products. I use Carol Daughter's Hair Milk Lite, it helps control frizz, and define the curls after you spray the hair with leave-in. I also use a product from Curl Junkie, called Coco Coffee Cream Lite. This product is a nice styling cream, that I use after the leave-in and combed out. It helps define the curls, and gives a great hold that last all day. The smell is the only thing that bothers me, it is strong and really sweet. Lastly, I use Curl Junkie, Curls in a Bottle, after co-washes 3 days a week. This helps set and define the curls. IT can also be added to your styling product for extra frizz control. Just be sure to not use too much, as it can leave flakes. Smells like cream soda to me!! :)

A snapshot at our routine. Sunday, Wed, Fridays he gets co-wash with Coconut Dream Conditioner, which is combed out with a WIDE TOOTH COMB (your best friend), a little leave-in, and then Curls in a Bottle. Every other Wed, I do the ACV rinse after his co-wash. Every morning, I spray his hair with leave-in, comb out, then apply a styling cream to define the curls.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

3 comments:

  1. Hey sister has two gorgeous Bi-racial children and I am going to show her this Post cause I think it will be a huge help for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have questions about the routine please fill free to ask. This has made a huge difference in his hair. It sounds like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it, it is really easy!! :)

    ReplyDelete